Chalfont Park Canoe Club

Hambleden Weir

For many years Hambleden weir was the focus of the clubs canoeing activities, after the rebuilding of the main sluices in 1996 there was  no white-water worth paddling on the main section. Following pressure from Chalfont Park Canoe Club the Environment Agency have modified the bed of the weir with some adjustable ramps to provide white water in the weir pool once more. We are very grateful to the EA for the work they have undertaken on behalf of all canoeists.

In 1996 as part of the modernisation of the weir the 8 remaining manual sluices (one had already been turned into a fish pass) were removed and replaced by 4 electric sluices, as part of this process the entire superstructure of the weir was removed and replaced. Following this rebuild there was no paddleable white water on the main section. Once this was discovered Chalfont Park began the process of trying to get the EA to undertake the work required to restore the water conditions.
In 1999 the Environment Agency agreed to fund a feasibility study into restoring the water conditions. This was undertaken at the University of Nottingham and Chalfont Park members attended on several occasions to provide paddler input and review the scale modeling that was taking place, in February 2000 a report was produced. The report detailed a number of changes that could be made to the weir that would create a wave train below the main sluices. In 2000 we got the EA to commit to implement the proposals in the report. During the winter of 2001-2002 practical tests were undertaken and these confirmed the results of the Nottingham testing.

Work has taken place to install ramps or “kickers” in the weir, “half rounds” have also been installed above the sluices to smooth the flow and provide a more consistent wave. The work was finished in September 2002. 

In each of the four sluices a concrete ramp of about 16 deg has been fixed to the weir apron, on top of these a hinged steel plate is fixed. The hinged steel plate is adjustable between the 16 deg of the base concrete ramp and approx 28 deg. The adjustment of the steel plate is currently by pneumatic bellows installed between the plate and the concrete base. 

The adjustable plates will provide fine tuning of the ramps to provide the best water conditions at all levels when there is enough water to open the main sluices.

Under most "normal" conditions there is a wave train that can provide good paddling when 1, 2, 3, or 4 sluices are open even without the use of the adjustable ramps.

Free public parking and access are available from the south bank of the river from Remenham Hill on the Henley road (A4130) via Aston Lane. Turn off the A4130 towards the village of Aston, at the Flower Pot Pub fork left, drive to the end of the lane and park above the public slipway in the gravel car park next to the river. 
Paddle 500 yards up river (i.e.. left) to the weir.

Whitewater canoeing has taken place in the weirpool since the late 1940's largely on a recreational/training basis.
It was the training ground for the British Slalom team over numerous world championships during the 1950's and 60's and for the 1972 Olympic team destined to compete at Augsburg, Germany. The site hosted at least 100 national ranking slaloms over the period 1951 to 1996 (from Novice to Premier and Div 1). Numerous slalomists from beginners to top national ranking paddlers and world champions (in kayak and Canadian disciplines) have trained and competed at this weir using the adjacent Chalfont Park Canoe club as their base up until 1996.

In 1990 five massive oak posts were erected in the weir pool to suspend slalom gate lines for competition and training purposes. These posts are still there to this day.
In 1996 the main sluices on the weir were re-built. As a result of the new weir design the once excellent whitewater was lost. Significant canoeing on the weir thus effectively ended.
In 2002 the E.A. installed underwater ramps to the bed of the weir and thus restored the white water and made canoeing possible again.


Chalfont Park Canoe Club 2004. All Trademarks and Logos acknowledged.

The information and images within this web site are the property of Chalfont Park Canoe Club (unless otherwise indicated) and may not be reproduced without prior permission.